So much for that lovable Mike Seaver rep.
In a sit-down on Piers Morgan Tonight that aired Friday, former Growing Pains star Kirk Cameron blasted gay marriage and homosexuality calling it “destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization.”
And that was just the beginning.
MORE: Heavens No! Kirk Cameron Attacks Stephen Hawking for Godless Views
When the 41-year-old outspoken “born-again Christian” was asked about his thoughts on gays tying the knot, Cameron said, “Marriage is almost as old as dirt, and it was defined in the Garden between Adam and Eve. One man, one woman for life till death do you part. So I would never attempt to try to redefine marriage. And I don’t think anyone else should either.”
“So do I support the idea of gay marriage? No, I don’t.”
And when asked if he thought homosexuality was a sin, Cameron went on to say, “I think that it’s unnatural. I think that it’s detrimental, and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization.”
But, that wasn’t all. Piers Morgan continued to discuss the topic with the father of six, asking Cameron what he would say to one of his sons if he told him he was gay.
And Cameron admitted he wouldn’t be so accepting.
“I wouldn’t say ‘That’s great, son, as long as you’re happy.’ I’m going to say, There are all sorts of issues we need to wrestle through in our life. Just because you feel one way doesn’t mean we should act on everything we feel.”
Following the interview, Cameron’s comments ignited a firestorm with gay rights groups like GLAAD, which launched a campaign against the former teen idol, encouraging its members to sign a petition against him to let him know he’s “no longer their idol.”
MORE: Feud Alert (Again)! Piers Morgan Slams Madonna’s “Gruesome” Super Bowl Halftime Show
“In this interview, Kirk Cameron sounds even more dated than his 1980s TV character,” said Herndon Graddick, Senior Director of Programs at GLAAD.
“Cameron is out of step with a growing majority of Americans … with an increasing number of states recognizing marriage equality, Americans are seeing that marriage is about committed couples who want to make a lifelong promise to take care of and be responsible for each other and that gay and lesbian couples need equal security and legal protections. That’s not ‘redefining’ anything.” Read more: http://www.eonline.com/news/kirk_cameron_homosexuality_detrimental/298546#ixzz1oMuLal2
- Kirk Cameron: Homosexuality Is “Detrimental and Destructive”; GLAAD Says “He’s Out of Step (filmworldnews.wordpress.com)
- GLAAD slams Kirk Cameron for ‘unnatural’ stance (kenyatta2009.wordpress.com)
- Kirk Cameron Says He’s Against Gay Marriage On Piers Morgan [VIDEO] (now100fm.radio.com)
- Kirk Cameron: Homosexuality Is “Detrimental and Destructive”; GLAAD Says “He’s Out of Step” (eonline.com)
- Piers Morgan — Kirk Cameron Was ‘Brave’ to Voice Anti Gay Marriage Opinions (tmz.com)
- GLAAD Blasts Kirk Cameron for Calling Homosexuality “Unnatural” and “Destructive” (seattlepi.com)
- Kirk Cameron Tells Piers Morgan Homosexuality is ‘Unnatural,’ ‘Destructive’ (inquisitr.com)
- Piers Morgan Isn’t Having Kirk Cameron’s Victim ‘Moaning’: ‘I’ll Let Others Decide If He’s a Bigot’ (towleroad.com)
- Kirk Cameron Tells Piers Morgan Homosexuality Is ‘Unnatural’ and ‘Destructive’ (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- Kirk Cameron Blasted by GLAAD Over Gay Marriage Comments (tmz.com)